The mission of Code2Discover is to help students discover their ability to create and shape the world around them through coding.
Discovery Through Coding
We see coding as a creative pursuit that empowers students to discover things about themselves and the world around them. Below are just a few of the things kids can discover through coding.
- Discover that they can create the technology products they enjoy instead of just consuming them.
- Discover how the video games they play are created.
- Discover a new language (coding language).
- Discover their own talent for innovating and making digital products.
- Discover a new confidence in themselves as they receive praise and recognition for their creations.
- Discover a new academic pursuit that might not be available in their school.
About The Owner/Instructor
Shawn D. Walk has been an educator for over 17 years. He was a 4th/5th grade teacher for 11 years at an elementary school north of Pittsburgh. During his time at that school, he focused on project-based learning and engaging students with real-world tasks that allowed them to see how what they were learning is used in the real world. He also developed a passion for technology and worked to include that in his teaching. Shawn developed several robotics and coding programs during his time as a teacher and helped students learn essential 21st century skills in a fun and exciting way.
About 5 years ago, He started a company in Pittsburgh that partnered with schools to offer coding, Minecraft, and other creative classes. The company was one of the first organizations in the Pittsburgh region to use Minecraft to create engaging programs for students. He now hopes to take this type of fun and creative learning beyond the Pittsburgh region to students all over the world.
Shawn has an active Pennsylvania Teaching Certification and a Masters Degree in education. Shawn has active background clearances available for review by request. He looks forward to helping your child discover their creative powers.
To view parent reviews of Shawn’s teaching, click here.