- Basic Computer Skills
- Be able to use a mouse and keyboard.
- Kodu Game Lab Program– Free Download– Only works on a Windows based PC.
How would you like to help your child (Ages 7-10) create their own original video game? This course helps kids learn to make games via a simple visual programming language. This program is a great entry into design and programming skills. Students will follow a kid-friendly process similar to real video game designers who create the games they play at home!
- Students learn programming logic to code characters’ behaviors and reactions to events in their games. All programming in Kodu is WHEN/DO (similar to IF/THEN statements).
- Students learn to use the tools available in Kodu to create land, water, mountains, buildings, and more.
- Students learn more advanced coding to give their characters power-ups. This involves creating parallel programming that changes the behavior of their characters based on a specific event.
- Students complete game design planning prior to starting their final projects to create the best video game possible.
Important: Kodu currently only runs on Windows. Please test running Kodu prior to signing up for the class. Kodu is a free download. Simply Google “Kodu.” This course is designed for parents that want to introduce their kids (Ages 7-10) to coding and video game design.
Sample The Class
The first 4 lessons are available for you and your child to sample. Click here to get started. To gain access to the entire course, please register and pay using the “Take This Course” button found below and in the sample lessons. Make sure you look for several emails after purchase that will help you complete the process.
Flex Class Format
In each lesson, students watch a video demonstration of the focus skills followed by practice exercises that have students apply what they learned from the video. The practice exercises have detailed instructions that include pictures, tips, and review videos that help students be successful using Kodu.
Who is the Video Game Design flex class for?
This flex class might work better for you and your child if ….
- Your schedule doesn’t permit your child to attend any of my live classes.
- You don’t want to wait to get into a live class (current classes with open spots don’t start for 4+ months).
- Your child wants to take one of my Level 2 classes, but needs to take this class first to gain some foundation in coding.
- Your child simply likes working at their own pace as opposed to live instruction.
I designed this flex class based off my experience teaching it live with students. The tips, images, and videos provided in the exercises are based off student questions from my classes. My goal was to design a flex class that provided the help students needed to be successful without a live teacher.
Make sure you are logged in. Scroll to the top of the page to log in if necessary. You can click on a lesson to continue on the right, or if you are on a mobile device and don’t see the lessons list, click here to continue.
14-Day Refund Policy
If you are not happy with the course for any reason, please contact me within 14 days of purchasing the class. In most cases, I can provide a full refund. The only exception is if your child has completed a significant portion of the class prior to contacting me.