Modding With Minecraft: Beginner Modding Part 1
Modding With Minecraft (Beginner Modding: Part 1)- Ages 9-13
Students in this class learn to use coding to make fundamental changes to what is possible in Minecraft. They give new powers to players and even learn how to change the entire look of the game.
- A Minecraft (PC/MAC-Java Edition) is required for this program. See website. Other editions of Minecraft (like Windows 10 and Pocket Edition) will not work with the class.
- You must have a PC or Mac to run this edition of Minecraft. It will not work on a Chrome Book or tablet.
- Students use a program called Learn to Mod to help them create their mods. Students must purchase a Learn to Mod account prior to the beginning of class. The cost of this program is currently $29.99 for a year subscription. https://www.learntomod.com/
In this class, students will learn to…
- Organize commands and directions into functions.
- Program Minecraft drones to encourage spatial reasoning.
- Give special abilities to weapons in Minecraft.
- Create their own texture pack to change how things look in the game.
- Create amazing Mods using programming loops, logic (IF/THEN), and more!
“Amazing teacher and class! The teacher was extremely well-prepared and organized each week. My son loved it and learned so much. We are definitely planning to take more classes with this teacher to learn more coding and modding.”
An Outschool Parent
“My son absolutely loved this class! We had to take a little time ahead of time getting access to the necessary websites and microphone/camera setup – this was so worth it and pretty easy to do, the instructions the teacher shared ahead of time were great. Would 110% do again. “
About The Instructor
Shawn D. Walk has been an educator for over 17 years. He was a 4th/5th grade teacher for 11 years at an elementary school north of Pittsburgh. During his time at that school, he focused on project-based learning and engaging students with real-world tasks that allowed them to see how what they were learning is used in the real world. He also developed a passion for technology and worked to include that in his teaching. Shawn developed several robotics and coding programs during his time as a teacher and helped students learn essential 21st century skills in a fun and exciting way.
About 5 years ago, He started a company in Pittsburgh that partnered with schools to offer coding, Minecraft, and other creative classes. The company was one of the first organizations in the Pittsburgh region to use Minecraft to create engaging programs for students. He now hopes to take this type of fun and creative learning beyond the Pittsburgh region to students all over the world.
Shawn has an active Pennsylvania Teaching Certification and a Masters Degree in education. He looks forward to helping your child discover their creative powers.
Class Formats and Registration
Live Group Class
Students join a live small-group class each week via the Outschool platform. Students have an opportunity to ask questions during the lesson and get extra help from the instructor as they practice what they learned. Students are also given multiple chances to share their work with the group during the course.